If you're looking for a way to improve your health, plant-based protein powder may be the answer. Protein powder is a great way to get more protein and extra nutrients into your diet and plant-based protein has added benefits, too. In this article, we explain why you should consider a plant-based protein powder instead of a typical whey protein or some other vegan protein powders available on the shelves.
Firstly, why do you need extra protein?
Protein plays an essential role in our bodies, it helps to build and repair muscles, provides energy and helps to keep us feeling full. If you're not getting enough protein from your diet then you may start to feel tired, have trouble concentrating and suffer from muscle loss. This is especially important if you lead an active lifestyle.
How much protein is the right amount of protein?
The amount of protein you need depends on your weight, activity level and muscle mass. The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for protein is 0.36 grams per pound (0.80 grams per kg) of body weight. For example, a sedentary person who weighs 150 pounds (68 kg) needs 54 grams of protein per day.
Sounds easy right? Except, we often end up having far less protein than we need – especially if you follow a plant-based diet. This is where vegan protein powder comes in really handy.
How does plant-based protein differ from other protein powder?
Plant-based protein powder is made from a variety of plant sources like peas, rice, hemp or soy. It's great for people who are looking for an alternative to whey protein powder to fit with their lifestyle or for those who are lactose intolerant. So, why does plant-based protein outweigh whey protein in our opinion? Vegan protein powders are generally more gentle on your digestive system than whey-based products, which is a big plus when you’re consuming a lot of protein as part of an active lifestyle. Plant-based protein powder is also lower in calories and fat than other types of protein powder.
Of course, not all protein powders are made equal so it’s important to understand the quality of the ingredients that go into each bag – and which ones stay out – to make sure you’re getting the best possible source of protein and nutrients for your body. Regardless of the type of protein powder you opt for, we’d recommend steering clear of anything artificial. Check the amounts of added sugar or artificial sweeteners and, if you’re trying to find the cleanest protein possible, watch out for gums, fillers and mystery ingredients you can’t pronounce.
The importance of amino acids
Amino acids, often referred to as the building blocks of proteins, are essential. Our plant-based, vegan protein is developed with 3 different plant proteins in every blend, providing you with complete protein with all 9 essential amino acids. This is critical as many vegan or plant-based protein powders can have a low amino acid profile.
What are the top 5 benefits of plant-based protein powder?
- It's easy to digest – If you're struggling to digest meat or dairy-based protein powders, plant-based protein powder is a great alternative. It's also good for people who suffer from IBS or other digestive issues.
- It's packed with nutrients – Plant-based protein powder is a great way to get extra vitamins, minerals and antioxidants into your diet. These nutrients are essential for good health and can help to boost your immune system. Our superfood-boosted protein powders include 18 different vitamins and minerals, as well as Omegas 3, 6 and 9.
- It's good for your heart – Plant-based protein powder is a great way to lower your cholesterol and improve your cardiovascular health. This is because it’s low in saturated fat and contains no cholesterol.
- It's more environmentally friendly – If you're looking for a more sustainable option, plant-based protein powder is the way to go. It takes less water and land to produce plant-based protein powder than it does to produce whey-based protein powder. Our protein powders are certified organic by the Soil Association, too. 100% of the ingredients that go into making our products are organically grown, which is ultimately better for you, the growers and the planet.
- It's versatile – Plant-based protein powder can be used in a variety of ways. You can add it to smoothies, baking or even use it as a flour replacement while being suitable for the majority of diets and common gut allergens.
So there you have it, the top five benefits of plant-based protein powder. If you're looking for a way to improve your health, plant-based protein powder is a great option.